Thursday, August 25, 2011

John Newcombe Kooyong 1976

John Newcombe Kooyong 1976
Another weekly image from the archive. Click on it to make it larger.
Close readers of the blog will recall the PND family lived in Melbourne Australia between 1973-77. The Australian Open was held over Christmas and New Years in those days and I was lucky enough to be able to attend many matches at Kooyong where it was held. This day was a little more special than normal because I and the parents were sitting in a court side box. Someone in the box loaned me their camera that day and for the first time I was allowed to shoot my own 35mm images. Unfortunately my parents didn't take the hint and I had to go back to my Kodak instamatic once the day was done.

Here John Newcombe - who may have been number one in the world at this point - has just beaten a young guy named Ross Case 6-4, 6-4, 6-1 in the quarter finals. Newk made it all the way to the final where he was beaten by Mark Edmonson.

The rest of the images are located here.


In addition to the images I've posted on Flickr and those I've periodically posted on PND, I have now produced a Big Blurb Book: From the Archive 1960 -1980 of some of the images I really thought were special.

I now have an iPad version of this book for sale ($4.99) on the Blurb site which you can find here: STORE

I have to say, even on the iPad the book looks pretty good.

No comments: