Friday, November 04, 2011

Melbourne Cup 1973

Another weekly image from my archive. Click on it to make it larger.

It was race day in Melbourne this past week and the annual big race produced the closest finish in history.  I am not 100% certain this is the actual race from 1973 but it was taken in the right month and there would have been little other reason to visit the track.  I bet that skyline looks a little different now.

I'm not a big horse racing fan, but I did place my first bet - I didn't do it someone else did it for me because I was too young - a few years after this.  I think it was in something called the Cheltenham Cup and the horse was "How Now" which came in a close second.  I had him to place and I think I won about $6.  I quit while the going was good.

In addition to the images I've posted on Flickr and those I've periodically posted on PND, I have now produced a Big Blurb Book: From the Archive 1960 -1980 of some of the images I really thought were special.

I now have an iPad version of this book for sale ($4.99) on the Blurb site which you can find here: STORE

I have to say, even on the iPad the book looks pretty good.

No comments: